Underground, cold, concrete, storage space… although these may be words used to describe your current basement, the lowest floor of your home probably has loads of potential. If you’re dreaming of some extra space, finishing your basement might make it the most popular room in the house—for a lot less cash than adding on.
When planning your basement finishing, consider your space. If you have a large basement, you can probably divide the space into separate rooms. If the basement is small, that might not be ideal. Keep in mind that most potential buyers will prefer an open concept design to small, choppy rooms.
Give some thought to finishes. Do you want carpeting or wood floors? Track lighting or recessed lights? What about decorative touches like crown molding? Sometimes picking out the finishing touches can be the most fun and it will personalize the room to your liking.
While deciding what to have done, consider where in the basement you should be putting designated areas…
- The main socializing area should be in a spot that gets the best natural light.
- If you are adding a bedroom in the basement, you need an egress window, so it should be located at the perimeter of the room.
- A TV area can be in a darker area, to reduce glare and create a home-theater feel.
Once you have a plan for the layout, you can look forward to the many benefits of a finished basement.
- Increases livable space – Finishing your basements creates a lot more livable space. Transform unused space into an extra living room, a guest room, a home theater or playroom for the kids.
- Extra Bathroom – Whether you turn your basement into a play area for kids or a place for guests to sleep, a bathroom can make things run more smoothly. Kids won’t be constantly going up and down the stairs and your guests will feel more comfortable with their own bathroom.
- Increases resale value – Finishing your basement can significantly increase the resale value of your home. This is particularly true if many other homes in your neighborhood have unfinished basements.
- Creates a private space – A finished basement can be a getaway from the noise and chaos of the rest of the house. Create a quiet, comfortable space for watching TV, or create an exercise space right in your own home.
If you’ve been thinking about finishing your basement, call one of our experienced consultants to get started!