Deciding on a green remodel for your Bathroom offers a myriad of benefits. You’re preserving the environment by using sustainable materials, saving money on utility bills, and boosting the worth of your home by making it more valuable and attractive.
When you are ready to proceed with your Bathroom remodeling project, here are some key elements to consider when creating an eco-friendly Bathroom.
1. Stone and tile are the best choices for flooring. It’s durable, easy to clean, stands up well to moisture, comes from recycled sources, and also maintains its classy look.
2. Natural linoleum or finished bamboo floors work well if used in areas where they will not be exposed to excessive amounts water or humidity.
3. Choose shower tiles that are made from recycled glass, ceramics or porcelain. These products are durable, easy to clean, and present a better appearance.
4. Invest in low-flow fixtures; showerheads, faucets, and toilets. You can save up to 20 percent of your water consumption by switching to .5 gpm (gallons per minute) and 1.0 gpm faucets and 1.5 to 2.5 gpm showerheads. Low-flow and dual flush toilets can cut down water usage by more than half.
5. Seek out vanity cabinets and countertops that are made from recycled products. Eco-friendly cabinets are made of recycled wood, sustainably harvested woods or rapidly renewable materials like bamboo or wheat straw which use resins free of VOC’s (volatile organic compounds). Aside from ceramic as an all-time favorite countertop product, consider other materials that are produced by FSC-certified paper pulp, ground-up bottles, concrete, and post-consumer recycled glass.
6. Heat your water with a tankless water heater. These heaters are easy to install, occupy less space, and take less time to heat up the amount of water you will need. Although they cost more initially than traditional water heaters, they pay for themselves in a matter of a few years by using up to 30 percent less energy.
If you are committed to being as green as you can be in your home, rest assured that Gehman Custom Remodeling can assist you in meeting that goal.
Next Time…Greening the Outdoors
Q&A&C – Questions and Answers and Comments are expected and welcomed.
YOUR STORY – Tell us about your remodeling experiences, good or bad. We all have had them and perhaps you can help someone else have a great remodeling experience or avoid the issues that you encountered. Remember…keep it clean and civil or we can’t publish it.