The Fort Washington area was settled by many German immigrants. One such person was Philip Engard who immigrated in 1728. Engard purchased 100 acres (40 ha) on what was to be named Susquehanna Road and Fort Washington Avenue. By the mid-18th century the area came to be known as Engardtown, and Fort Washington Avenue was originally called Engardtown Road. The house built by Philip Engard is listed as the “Engard Family Home – 1765” in the Upper Dublin Township Open Space & Environmental Resource Protection Plan – 2005, as part of the Upper Dublin Historical Properties #25. The local high school, Upper Dublin Senior High School, is on Loch Alsh Avenue.