Home and garden decorating is a hot topic and growing … as evidenced by current television programming. Not only are there more and more home-related television shows on the air than there were 10 years ago, there are even entire channels dedicated to the home – HGTV and DIY Network, to name just two.
Television shows dedicated to beautifying the home are both interesting and helpful for people who are looking for ideas for their home and garden. These shows take everyday living spaces and transform them into attractive and inviting places. And because many of these programs work with a limited budget, they further help people realize that home and garden decorating can be accomplished without going to great expense. They also demonstrate that even small changes can make an enormous difference.
Home and garden decorating usually involves many different materials – paint, fabric, wood, tile, furniture, accessories – and can often intimidate homeowners who don’t feel as though they are “creative” enough to pull it all together. However, with so many home and gardening programs, magazines, books and catalogs available, homeowners are starting to understand that they don’t need to have a lot of creative skill to pull off a room makeover. In fact, some of the best changes you can make to a room are the simple ones.
Here are a few simple home and garden decorating tips that produce big changes:
- The home and garden should complement each other. If a beautiful garden exists outside, why not bring that beauty inside by displaying fresh-cut flowers from your garden throughout your home. Flowers provide a lovely, fresh scent and add color to any space.
- Bring the warmth of your indoor living space outside using luminary candles, or string white lights around a decorative patio tree. The soft glow of light is always welcoming on a warm summer evening while you entertain your friends and family.
- If you have a collection that you have spent years gathering, dedicate a place to tastefully arrange and display them – for all to enjoy. Conversely, if you have a lot of “clutter” in a room (such as hundreds of DVDs, CDs or magazines), you may want to find new homes for them). Something as simple as removing the unneeded items from a room can greatly improve the look of it.
- Outside, if you have overgrown bushes or invasive trees, consider relocating them or cutting them down. You can also add window boxes to the front of your home for added charm.
- Walls looking dingy? Brighten them up with a fresh coat of paint.
- If you have a wooden deck, replace wooden planks that are warped or splintered. Give your deck a good power-wash to remove all the mold, dirt and mildew, and then finish up the job by giving it a new coat of stainand/or weatherproofing that complements the exterior color of your home.
- Change out the accessories around your home – light switch plates and electrical socket covers, kitchen knobs, door handles and hinges.
Remember, there are many simple home and garden decorating ideas that you can do – in just a few hours. These simple changes will greatly transform the look of your yard and enhance the curb appeal of your home.